Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Thoughts on food....

I've written here about my love of empanadas and my lack of self control when it comes to food.  But I've been thinking about that more and trying to figure out exactly why that is.  I am not always hungry when I eat.  I do enjoy the taste of fresh bread and empanadas and ice cream, but is there something more?  And then I wondered....what if my eating habits were things I learned as a vegan, which no longer apply but are still habits? 

First, I eat constantly in the US as a vegan.  I'm pretty much running year-round, and that takes up a lot of energy.  When I first went vegan, I was hungry a lot, until I figured out how to change my eating habits--eat more often.  Snack a lot.  Etc, etc.  And when I'm hungry as a vegan athlete, I get a snack instantly, since I know waiting will just make me hungrier, and I'll be closer to my next running event.  (Running soon after eating=bad idea.  Moral of the story=eat RIGHT NOW.)

Second, vegan food is not as heavy.  I don't eat most things that are dense in fat/calories, like cheese, milk, hamburgers, etc.  I eat things that are dense in vitamins and minerals, like vegetables, soy, more vegetables, rice, etc.  So that means I eat less "stuff" at once and then eat again sooner.  (P.S. This is based on my experience and my feelings, don't try to call me out on any of this.)  So my stomach isn't accustomed to eating lots of cheesy things and things that are "heavy."  So I eat some, but then want more later on because, hey, snacking is a vegan's best friend!

The thing that brought this all on way when I was standing waiting for my micro, SO CLOSE to an empanada store.  I wasn't hungry....so I decided I didn't need an empanada.  Novel idea, eh?  But why the sudden self-control?  Could it be that my old habits are changing?  (Of course, since I'll be returning to the US on the 15th of May, gotta switch back to vegan-habits.  So I did get the empanada.)

No comments:

Post a Comment