Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Normal

Here in Bolivia, people blockade roads.  And have strikes.  And protest stuff.  On Monday my micro (aka bus) had to take a different route since there was a blockade.  When I told my family, they were just like "Oh yeah, that happens a lot.  Someone's always protesting something."  Today there was rumored to be a strike.  Last night I heard about it and was a little concerned I wouldn't make it to classes on time (I live 3 miles from class, and 2 miles from my adviser's house).  Class was moved to my adviser's house, but walking 2 miles is still a bit of a hike and running with all my notebooks (which were due today!) was clearly out.  Luckily there were taxis when I woke up this morning (at 6am, to finish my journals and print my 8000230000 page-long ISP proposal).  But here, people protest stuff.  It's really intriguing because we have nothing like it in the U.S.  If some group of people blocked Route 84, a) It would get cleared almost instantly b) People would just detour some other way until it was clear.  In Bolivia, blocking a highway between 2 cities is a way to get some serious attention, because sometimes/often there only is one highway between 2 cities.  (This is mountain country, highways aren't a piece of cake to build.)  So is it good that people are more politically active/aware, or is it bad that they can't express their discontent within the political/judicial system?

Also, just want to say: Going abroad makes you learn a lot about yourself, your assumptions, things you take for granted.  One thing I just learned about myself--I CAN NOT spell adviser.  I just changed it in about 20 different locations from advisor to adviser.  Fun fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment