Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What did I actually do last weekend?

Trying to remember.....the only thing I remember doing on Friday was going to dinner with our Spanish professors, since Spanish class is over now and we like them.  BRAIN BLAST!  I remember!  I worked on my Colegio Bolívar project with my group.  I went to the Jurídica para la Mujer with Melissa, and the other girls researched in the library about high school integration.  The project was due today (Tuesday) and is a 10 page paper and a 20 minute presentation.  Then we tried to get a cab for EVER and showed up an hour and 15 minutes late to dinner.  "Bolivian time" generally allows for lateness, but this was a little late even for Bolivian time. But then I ate a quesedilla!

Saturday and Sunday were also kind of blurry....I think I probably worked on my project, slept, ate food with my family, etc.  On Saturday night from 8:30 to 9:30 was Earth Hour!  I was next to the Plaza (well, one of the Plazas, there are kind of a lot) and saw things being set up.  At 8:30 all the lights went out in all the businesses, and there were juggling performances and everyone got candles!  It was totally cool!  Then I went to a club with some friends, and happened to run into a TON of other study abroad kids from other programs.  As I've never been to a US club, I don't know how much they usually cost, but this one was 5 Bs (aka 70 cents) which seemed like a good deal to me!

Oh!  And Sunday was Día del Peatón, aka Pedestrian Day!  Driving cars was illegal unless you had authorized permission (cops, ambulences).  So I ran with my neighbor Lauren to the Central Plaza and I met up with my group there to work on our project.  There were TONS of biciclers bicyclers (That was Spanglish) and walkers and people with dogs.  Before we started working we all got ice cream!  YUMMY!  Then we tried to figure out how to write our paper/who was doing what/what conclusions we could draw about Colegio Bolívar and why the integration caused so much violence.  I might have spaced out a little a lot because there were so many people to watch!  Then some little kids came by and asked if we were speaking English, where we were from, etc.  Then a little girl started crying nearby in the grass, so I went over and talked to her (she hit her leg on her little bike).  The 3 kids were all friends and were 7, 7, and 6 years old.  Their parents were vendors working nearby.  They found us very interesting so that kind of ended our project discussion (which was good!  It was getting boring!)  But they were total hams and it was adorable!

By this time it was 6:30ish, so the Día del Peatón was over and cars started up again.  So I took a taxi home after meeting up with Laurenita.

No comments:

Post a Comment