Sunday, April 8, 2012

Pascua

Hola everyone!  Today I had my first Bolivian Easter (aka Pascua).  I actually had to look up the word for Easter just now, because no one talked about it or did anything out of the usual.  Yesterday I had a few bonbons with my sister in honor of Easter, and I've seen a few more chocolate bunnies being sold in the street.  But Easter--not too big of a deal...the actual big deal was Semana Santa, or Saint Week.  My host sibs had Thursday and Friday off school and Friday was "dry."  Selling alcohol was totally illegal, and no where was open, and there was also no public transport (well, there was a trufi that got me into town at 7:30am, but I had to walk back to my house since no trufis came by--about 2 miles but who's counting?  Actually I didn't even googlemap that, so not me).

Know what else I did this weekend?  Played Risk!  My host brothers bought it in the Cancha, or market (but also soccer field, which gets confusing sometimes).  The directions were in English, so I got to read them and be the bearer of all knowledge.  We didn't actually finish a game, mostly because I kept having to go do other things...but we've started plenty of games!  I also went for a run, oh and worked on my ISP (independent study project).  I'm going to study preschool education/socialization and how it's different among different socioeconomic classes.  I have an appointment tomorrow with the owner of a daycare in Cocha, so I'll let y'all know how that goes.  All weekend I've been working on my 3 "journals/reflections" that I have to turn in this Wednesday...I've reflected over lots of readings and lectures and Bolivian culture things....if I have time I might translate a few of them to put on my blog.  (Writing in Spanish is definitely easier!  Woo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment